New York, American Telephone and Telegraph Company, 1929. 8vo. Volume VII, October, No. 4, 1929 of "The Bell System Technical Journal". In the original printed bluish grey wrappers. A bit of sunning to extremities and a pencil-marking to top of front wrapper. Internally clean. Pp. 806-54.[Entire issue: Pp. 613-861.]
First printing of this very early study on the technique behind articulation testing. Harvey Fletcher pioneered in research within hearing and psychoacoustics and dominated all research in acoustics within Bell Systems in the period 1925 to 1950. Fletcher is often referred to as the "father of stereophonic sound".
The issue contains the following papers:
1. Dodge, H.F.; Romig, H.G. A Method of Sampling Inspection. Pp. 613-631.
2. Molina, E.C.; Wilkinson, R.I. The Frequency Distribution of the Unknown Mean of a Sampled Universe. Pp. 632-645.
3. Sivian, L.J. Speech Power and Its Measurement. Pp. 646-661.
4. Wise, W. Howard. Asymptotic Dipole Radiation Formulas. Pp. 662-671.
5. Darrow, Karl K. Statistical Theories of Matter, Radiation and Electricity. Pp. 672-748.
6. Townsend, J.R.; Straw, W.A. Physical Properties and Methods of Test For Some Sheet Non-Ferrous Metals. Pp. 749-805.
7. Fletcher, H.; Steinberg, J.C. Articulation Testing Methods. Pp. 806-854.