ESTABLISHING THE FRENCH ARMIES' ENGINEER CORPS

[COMPTE D'ARGENSON].

Ordonnance du Roy Pour le Service et lerang des Ingenieurs du 7. fevier 1744 (+) Fortification devis et conditione pour les ouvrages a exceuter a landau

[No place, but presumably Paris], 1744.

Folio (420 x 270 mm). Manuscript in fine legible hand. Bound in contemporary boards. Paper label with title in contemporary hand to front board. Two stamps to front board and paper label pasted on to front board. Two stamps to title-page. Internally very fine and clean, written on good heavy paper.  [Ordonnance du Roy:] 25 pp.; [Fortification devis...:] 11 ff. 


Manuscript-copy of the important French ordinance of 7. February 1744 in which Marc-René de Voyer, comte d'Argenson, integrated the engineers into the army.

"The Geographical Engineers, scouting ahead of the army in the advanced guard, responsible for route finding, surveying and collection of data about the local area were a small, highly specialised force. Marshall Vauban organised the "Ingenieurs des Camps et des Armees" in 1696; in 1726 the organisation became autonomous. They were the pre-curses of the Ingenieurs-Geographes.
The French Armies' Engineer Corps was established as a distinct entity on 7th February 1744, but were merged with the Artillery in 1755 being reorganised in 1759. A School of Engineering was created at Mezieres in 1744 and a School of Miners at Verdun. The "Corps Royal du Genie" was formed on the 31st December 1776." (The Napoleon Series Mission).

Order-nr.: 59800


DKK 4.500,00